Saturday, March 17, 2018

LONDON — Of all the stories of survival from the Auschwitz concentration camp, Gena Turgel's is one of the most astonishing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/auschwitz-survivor-gena-turgel-walked-out-gas-chamber-alive-n293496
This copied and pasted article clearly shows the disturbing long lasting effects on the survivors.
....which seem to continue into further generations of the survivors. My mother had a friend here whose father was a high ranking Nazi who told his daughter how evil were the Jews. After long discussion with my mother about the evils of the Holocaust, she knew differently. On her next trip to Germany she told her father that she NOW understood the truth and who knows what else she said as he died that night. The holocaust was UNIQUE because of its time and place in western civilization where some of the best educated people in the modern age, became savages in modern clothing. Unlike my mother's German friend (Hettie) with the high ranking Nazi father, others my mother spent time with seem to think, maybe because of my mother's apparent strength, that she could not have been unduly influenced by those she TRUSTED in old age with dementia creeping into her mind...that she was totally unaffected by the holocaust...maybe just a little like I was from totaling my car in a crash...right....







My mother, left, and her sister, like Gena Turgel. met Dr Mengele in Auschwitz.
My mother escaped , her sister was murdered. I can only look into the face of my aunt and wonder what great things this spunky young girl might have achieved had she lived, like my mother who did great things while alive.
 


(Please excuse any formatting errors on my part...link has accurate formatting)

LONDON — Of all the stories of survival from the Auschwitz concentration camp, Gena Turgel's is one of the most astonishing.

copy and paste from above link;
"
“When I think back, I have to pinch myself sometimes to see if I’m really alive," the 90-year-old told NBC News.
Turgel, an elegant woman with more than a hint of mischief in her blue eyes, survived not one or two, but three Nazi concentration camps.
In the most notorious of all, Auschwitz-Birkeanau, she was herded naked into a gas chamber with hundreds of others.
Yet Turgel, who was 21 at the time, walked out alive.
She had no idea the Nazis had tried to kill her until a woman she knew said, “Don’t you know what has just happened to you? You were in the gas chamber!”
Turgel still looks amazed to have cheated death.
"I completely lost my voice," she said. "I just never realized I was in the gas chamber ... it must not have worked."
"I wear a lot of perfume. The stench of the camps will always stay with me and I try to block it out"
Turgel's life sounds like a history of the war. She was 16 when her hometown of Krakow, Poland, was bombed by the Nazi Luftwaffe on Sept. 1, 1939, the first day of the war. She had relatives in Chicago but the family was too late in acting on their plan to move there, and Poland was swiftly sealed by the Germans.
In Krakow's Jewish ghetto, she lost two brothers fighting the Nazis. She then was sent to Plaszow concentration camp where she survived for two-and-a-half years until she was marched to Auschwitz. She survived testing by the infamous Nazi Doctor Josef Mengele.
After two months, as the Red Army advanced towards Auschwitz, she was sent on a "death march,” first to Buchenwald concentration camp and then to Belsen, where she shared a barracks with the dying Dutch teenager Anne Frank.
When Belsen was liberated by the British, she showed a handsome young army officer, Norman Turgel, around the makeshift hospital where she worked. Within six months they were married.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment